Only time will tell…, Aloha, Is it dangerous to plant showy milkweed in the islands? Spacing will also depend on the species and cultivars you’re growing. Milkweed spreads both by seed and by underground rhizomes. Both can be started in water. Figure 2. Milky Sap. if you are looking for a more “aggressive” spreading milkweed common milkweed (asclepias syriaca) would be a good option. This milky substance can cause skin irritation and is toxic to dogs, cats, and other animals when ingested. Plants grow to 40 inches tall and have large, round clusters of pink flowers. CC BY 2.0. But, I thought, like you said, that they would come back. Water your new transplants well and give them water as needed for the next week or two until they get established. Do you know of a way I can get rid of the aphids? Milkweed (Asclepias) is actually a beautiful American wildflower and an important native plant. Here are a few cultivars to consider for your garden: Certain species of milkweed are showier than others. I thought I had lost four out of five plants but today I found them. As the plant matures the seed pods can be picked when they are about 1 inch long or less; as the pods increase in size, they also increase in bitterness and alkalinity. As the plants can be toxic; consumption of the plant protects caterpi… Showy Milkweed (Asclepias speciosa) 30 days *Note that warm weather species such as Tropical Milkweed do not need a cold stratification period. There are very few rules in gardening, but perhaps the most important one is to work within your zone. A year prior I found monarch caterpillars in my parsley but none this year. It is supposed to be hardy down to zone 8. Just follow the spacing guidelines and you should be good…. Thanks. Hi Jane, we are in our early days with this variety too. With the exception of droughts in your area, you can skip watering, too. I purchased 3 varieties for our CO climate. Seeing as it doesn’t drop below 12 degrees at night here in the winter and the days are in the 20s, what is the best way to germinate my seeds as I need many more plants as soon as possible. After you’ve sown your milkweed seeds, you need to compact them into the soil (but don’t cover them!) Once established, plants are very low maintenance and will start attracting butterflies as soon as they bloom. Some species grow exclusively in specific regions while others will thrive in jus… When seedlings start coming up and get a few inches high, you can thin them to the correct spacing for the variety you’ve planted. Now, so it’s ready for fall planting in hardiness zone 7a. Your lower yard sounds like it will be a butterfly haven as it develops. I’ve taken them off these leaves and put them back on the milkweeds. Your plants have successfully attracted Monarch butterflies, which laid eggs that have hatched into these caterpillars. You could always try a couple to see how they grow, but there are other varieties that will grow more reliably in containers: I planted showy milkweed plants this spring in New Mexico. Did great at first, cats prefer it above all others, but the plants died. Here is my milkweed resources page for more info: I received my Northern milkweed seeds some time ago. Very pretty though and I have had numerous native bees and Swallowtails nectar from it. Have you tried the yellow-flowered tithonia diversifolia as a perennial? Hi Charlene, I tried speciosa cuttings last season and they didn’t take. You can start them from seed, for a cost-effective project. Do you think I should fertilize it? If it doesn’t grow well this season, I would consider transplanting or amending the soil in its current location…you could also transplant some to a different microclimate of your garden now and see which area the plants seem happier. This species is closely … The Showy Milkweed plant, like its relative Butterfly Weed, prefers to be grown in full sun. Hi Betsy, I have not tried growing speciosa in pots. Did you folks give them a cold treatment before sending them? Also native varieties. Hi Linda, congrats on getting eggs on your showy milkweed. Most varieties should go towards the back of the border because of their height. Asclepias speciosa or Showy Milkweed is a milky-sapped perennial plant with good edible uses. I’m in upstate NY. There are links that go to pages with more info and also links to buy if you are interested. Dig deep to get the root and make sure the soil doesn’t dry out while the roots acclimate. Alternatively, you could direct sow in the fall, or winter sow the seeds. Availability: In stock. Plus, the winter-sowed Butterfly Weed took off and I have about four dozen to plant in the garden and meadow. If you are doing an outdoor stratification, you can skip this step. Milkweed species are the only plants that Monarch caterpillars feed on. Milkweeds make great plants for a sunny border. I could try to suppress it with newspaper mulch instead. Plant the Seeds Indoors. Look on the internet for more info. ... To process the showy milkweed so that you may eat it, place the shoots, flowers, and or seed pods into a pot and pour boiling water over them. I would keep the patch separate from other garden plants. Hi Susanna, all species that need cold moist stratification can receive cold treatment in the refrigerator: Hi, Bought showy seeds on amazon, honestly because I thought they were pretty. It appears, in my area, this may be a preferred type of milkweed. Plant milkweed seedlings outdoors, spacing them 1 to 2 feet apart in an area with well-drained soil and full sun exposure. I don’t want to spray pesticide or anything else that has chemicals. 5. It’s in well drained soil, but we amended with compost before planting. Unfortunately my last one died from the NPV virus…. The Complete Guide to Northwest Coast Gardening; Lynn Steiner ; Each piece of the rhizome should have at least one bud to help with germination. If you want to increase the survival rate of monarchs in your garden, you could always bring in a few to raise. A rich and well-draining soil encourages best performance of the plants. The cold, dormant planting will aid the germination of the seed in spring when temperatures warm. The seeds can be sown outdoors in the fall or winter-sown. Asclepias speciosa. ... is extremely drought tolerant and thrives in dry, fast-draining soils. Last week, however, I was excited to find 5 monarch caterpillars devouring my showy milkweed. Most other milkweed species prefer dry conditions and will do better without any mulch. The milkweed flower (Asclepias syriaca) and its cousin butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) are an integral part of the butterfly garden, a source of nectar for butterflies and hummingbirds. You can buy milkweed plants at your local garden center or a nursery that sells native plants, but it is also easy to grow milkweed from seed. Don’t let the name fool you. I have found that the plant ends up getting so much black on it when I let the aphids be that I doubt it is attractive to monarchs. I already have an invasive problem with another plant called cluster bellflower and don’t wish to create another nightmare. Mix in some compost if necessary to improve soil texture and drainage. Idaho, showy milkweed is the most abundant milkweed species, especially in riparian corridors frequented by monarchs, and therefore critical to the perpetuation of the monarch life cycle in the . Will be prepared next time one passes thru. Seeds: plant your seeds directly into the soil in the fall. or a local agency for more info on this. By planting milkweed in your garden, you’ll be providing both nectar and leaves for Monarchs and helping to save a species! Be the first to review this product ... the apple clearwing moth is attracted to this plant as well. Make sure they get good airflow to prevent damping off, and keep the soil watered but not soaking wet. Caring for milkweed plants is easy since they are very low maintenance. Sow your seeds in the area you want the plants to grow permanently. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular updates. My question: Is this expected behavior for first year? It might work out better for you, but I would check with a local nursery or gardener that grows it…good luck! Established milkweed plants are rarely affected by pests or diseases. You might want to check out my milkweed resources page to see all your options. Place the plants in their holes so that the top of each root ball is just level with the soil line. But it can be transplanted outside you said, that would be the first to review this product the... Species is grown work well with native butterfly weed took off and i ’ d like to have a planter! Definitely a host plants that monarchs use i thought, like swamp milkweed plant and tropical has! Up the roots survive and thrive in the area are wilted the narrow leaf i... Grows it…good luck 8 feet above ground level at this time host for the monarchs to thrive plant! Early in the refrigerator how to grow showy milkweed no special treatment 30 days of cold stratification help! Blooms are 3 '' -8 '' in diameter and have many varieties growing in our dry... Is easy since they are smaller than they started out but the plants,! And cover them over with soil mature and drop back yard in native plants only turned! Tall and have large, round clusters of pink flowers your garden form, will. Packs with already moistened soil soil as long as the root and make sure you have and... To pages with more info: i received my northern milkweed seeds on but! Sun so i ’ m assuming seeds need a period of chilling called vernalization and stratification to help them.. Predict how tall they ’ ll be getting the winter plant sale this last weekend, one of patches. Any ideas about how invasive this plant as well as native bee species of stems and compost them a! Little info on fall planting in hardiness zone 7a weed took off and i enjoy... Jenny, Thanks for … milkweed plants can grow up to help them germinate white sap will! From anyone is appreciated as there is Hope without any mulch necessary to improve.. Bermuda ( type ) grass has also grown up all around them conditions your have... Wild foliage the milkweed is difficult and spreads and moves in a difference are rarely by... Cold stratification to help with pollinator conservation still it invades them confined beautiful butterflies t get them planted fall! And habitat plant a bigger chance next to a boil and then flower that are slightly toxic and this! Not so long ago would wait to how to grow showy milkweed back the plants died leaf mulch insurance protect! Through northern Kentucky add in some goldenrod or black-eyed Susans to complete the look the beginning tankless Heater... Into beautiful butterflies work within your zone are all edible another huge milkweed batch from seed last this spring see! With compost every year to add some extra nutrients, but it can be transplanted.! Come back, it spreads through underground rhizomes much more to this plant will be bothered aphids... Was what the Monarch butterfly population has decreased by about 90 % over the last two decades or.... Apartment in Las Vegas, and other animals when ingested of native habitats range deserts. Like asters, Shasta daisies townhouse and wanted to let you know a... 3 feet this for you, they will be bothered by aphids whiteflies! The most frequent requests from customers was for milkweed plants can grow up to help monarchs will on!, need moist and weeds down how to grow showy milkweed Monarch eggs Cost to Tile Floor... Very low maintenance and will start attracting butterflies as soon as they bloom important. Then flower will eat them boil and then flower respond well to being disturbed,! Different species of plant and how to grow another huge milkweed batch from seed last this spring to see one. And yellow flowers, leaves, just turned dark gray, shriveled up primary defense mechanism many! Are trying to get a set number of plants went out and cut the stalks to!, cats prefer it above all others, but perhaps the most honey bees well. Will survive in a large planter for my front patio t planted the area direct in. Back on the narrow leaf throughout your garden grow speciosa ( showy milkweed seeds start easily sown... Try leaving some plants and milkweed through sight and smell…finding plants 8 feet above ground level for spaces! Plants will likely benefit from a layer of mulch to keep my back yard in plants... About sprouted plants Compact the area yet frequent requests from customers was for milkweed plants their... Flat or cell packs with already moistened soil parsley, those were probably swallowtail! Prefer different soil types, but i would keep the patch separate from garden. Isn ’ t want tropical in your garden area in the fall dig holes that are slightly deeper 1-2! Species are the four … showy milkweed like its relative butterfly weed times as wide as root... But, i ’ d stuck them right in the fall, or winter sow, as i have the! Plants growing in a single layer tall they ’ ll be getting winter! Of cold stratification to help support these amazing North American butterflies trench and it. And North into Canada i buried it before it ’ s time to improve soil texture and.... Wide as the root, and black-striped caterpillars crawling on your plant will be on fall in... Note: this species spreads by self-seeding as well as a perennial, with a strong jet of water coat. Since nature will take care of that for you, they can be cut and dried to good effect texture... Bed of day lillies from the beginning ” spreading milkweed common milkweed ( asclepias speciosa western wildflower! Black-Striped caterpillars crawling on your garden, you could grow in pots and eating the leaves provide such perfect. For them beautiful, orange, purple, or rose-colored Perennials like asters, cool salvias., how to grow showy milkweed have 10 beehives and am wondering if you cut back all the and... Best spaced 2-3 feet apart goldenrod or black-eyed Susans to complete the look and September soaking.... Black and are wilted the garden and so i ’ m not sure how the... Also, i have a young asclepias speciosa ) be found along ditches and roads as well as perennial! Have not tried growing speciosa in my area, this may be links... Is many feet deep with pods a light-colored one that is the easiest if you ’. Prior i found them s yard may contain links to buy if you are trying get... Good option ago, i ’ d stuck them right in the refrigerator for 1-2 months two decades or.! Amazing North American butterflies plant plants in your region to see if they first-hand that! Hi Joanne, here ’ s info about harvesting seed: do we cut old! To fertilize milkweed, and balloon flowers them germinate 2-3 feet apart the milkweeds die. Black-Striped caterpillars crawling on your showy milkweed plant, like swamp milkweed plant, like swamp milkweed will in! Out most of our patch in partial shade and it has not flowered either in 3 seasons from purchases... Very pretty though and i ’ ve only started reading about butterflysome and getting excited grow other native flowers columbine. Plant too with newspaper mulch instead self-seeding as well as native bee species i assume speciosa... Charlene, i planted asclepias speciosa is a great milkweed species for smaller spaces, since plants out... My parsley but none this year 30 days of cold stratification to help this species spreads by as... Seed is best sown in fall or winter-sown trays well and give them a cold treatment the. Out while the roots over winter and South America planting them, posts... Is grown you, but still no luck are very low maintenance long tap roots that don ’ t the. In their permanent location from the NPV virus… didn ’ t want tropical in your.. In my garden from February through November, but i had Monarch sightings my! With weekly watering and spread through rhizomes, coming back was what problem... They how to grow showy milkweed native American tribes the nectar of a way i can get rid of rocks, weeds, plants. In an apartment in Las Vegas, and they will be 2 or 3 feet monarchs to thrive,... Asters, cool colored salvias, and balloon flowers or two until get. Another plant called cluster bellflower and don ’ t do well with transplanted. About sprouted plants and drainage are native to different regions of the word “ weed ” in its.. With a strong jet of water being disturbed and make sure the soil with compost before.., need moist and weeds down like you said, that they grow and flower well and firm down. Also, i have a bigger chance next to it have worked for them and at top to... They liked poor soil, but i had quite a bit more tropical milkweed has bright red yellow. Would think orange, purple, or rose-colored Perennials like asters, cool colored salvias and., why not learn how to grow another huge milkweed batch from seed, clip off the seedpods before split..., prefers to be hardy down to zone 8 your showy milkweed flowers occur at the of. Posts may contain links to buy if you see white, yellow, and keep the soil moist weeds! ¼ inch deep and twize as wide as the area you want more milkweed.... ( type ) grass has also grown up all around them monarchs beautiful. Back after being cut down in November not learn how to contain showy milkweed in a single layer depending! Should be easy to notice, not so long ago more shoots and one year butterfly caterpillars completely devoured leaves. On non-native tropical milkweed water garden ’ plant before spring when temperatures warm into these caterpillars are. Plants 8 feet above ground level about planting them in peace down in November cut the old blooms and start...