**Raising up your project (in this case, the cushions) to paint makes it easier to get a thorough and even coat. That’s all it took, which is technically true. Ever since I painted my gray chair {}, I’ve been wondering about fabric spray paints and how well they work. I did this same thing with my kitchen chairs. I researched painting fabrics and found a recipe for making my own chalk paint. I really like the design of the fabric, and so did his grandmother. In this video, you will learn three fabric painting techniques that are easy and can easily transform any piece of fabric. Overall: While it’s the most boring chair to look at (This was the last one to be painted, all my creative ambition was used up on the first and second chair!) You may have a piece of furniture that you love that has vinyl upholstery that you don’t. Master Bedroom $100 Room Challenge: Week 3, evenly spread paint mixture onto fabric with, follow up with another coat of paint (you may need to do 3 coats). painted chair cushions. But dry, it looked like a fabulous match. May 23, 2012 by Christina 54 Comments. Typical fabric paint doesn't adhere properly to vinyl, which is designed to repel substances instead of soaking them up. But it’s still dirt. I’ve been very happy with how the painted fabric has held up though. I let it dry between coats, … I will probably do some touch up painting next summer. So much cheaper than replacing seat cushions! It’s really hard and I just don’t feel like doing those again. this post about a painted wingback chair. I started with these chair cushion on a set of BHG outdoor furniture that I got on clearance a few years back and that we enjoy on our back deck. I would do our old dining room seat cushions like that too, if they were in the original fabric, but we bought this set off Craigslist, and they were already recovered in a black faux leather, and they have weathered well. So it’s sentimental dirt. If you continue to use this site, it is assumed that you are cool with the cookies. Just reach down and paint these areas with a paint brush so when no one is sitting on the chair, you won’t see the original fabric. And by the way, your chairs look amazing as well as that room. than fabric paints. Yuck, I know…but when kids are in the picture, it makes cleaning that much easier. The pattern is great. Painting Tips **I have used both latex wall paint and chalk paint on different chair cushions (mixed with the textile medium) and BOTH worked fine. Answered. I noticed in a recent post that some of you have had good results using chalk paint on pillows. How to Paint Patio Cushions. How to Paint a Fabric Chair. UPDATE: Over a year and a half later, my man finally admits that this is a big improvement over the original goldenrod. After painting the couch looks sooo much better. 2k. And if so…I wanna see!!! Take your painter's tape and cover all the trimming of the couch or chair. They wipe clean and are comfy! At first, I was going to buy a can of that and try it out on these pillows, but then I read some reviews that suggested that just maybe they weren’t worth the expense. I got all the deets for you here! Good news: You can get a new, fresh look on your vinyl furniture simply by painting the vinyl! And dirty. Only our bums touch the seat fabric, so no big deal if they turn out stiff and weird feeling. Then I was browsing about on Pinterest, and saw this post about a painted wingback chair.and my wheels started turning. Cover anything and everything that you don't want paint on. After several years with this treatment, I’m ready to recover them. So I just started painting all of the cushions. Julia uses textile paint in different colours, and paints the cushion cover with a roller. Love the after photos.Great job! This is my dining room. Turn a dried spot of paint on a seat cushion into a happy accident...paint the rest of the seat instead! See how to test your project’s material for absorbency before painting your project, how to hold the can, and how to apply the paint using various techniques. I actually really love the pattern of the brocade, and the seat covers were done professionally. After stewing about the house mumbling things like ‘fabric should be dyed,’ my man finally got cozy with the new/old green chairs seats. Yep! I feel like I won the hardwood floor lottery! Times four! What I do not love about this room: A friend recently gave me some lawn chairs and cushions. Thank you for sharing!! So, after 48 hours, I rushed out and bought four .99 bottles of green craft paint, and the kids and I had a painting day! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I’m very texture/comfort oriented, so I know that would be a big The final verdict on the fabric texture is that it is only *slightly* stiffer This type of spray paint is the finest I have ever seen. Saved some time. Mainly because the paint is much more washable than the original fabric…the dirt sits on top, and it wipes clean. I find this to be great. There are a few spots that have worn through from age (the fabric is 50 years old). Would you do something this crazy? Breathing a new life into beat up and stained fabric chairs doesn't always require a trip to an upholsterer. I do and she has scraped some of the paint off at the foot of the cushion. I am a widow now, do not have an electric screw driver nor do I want to go purchase one. I won’t be painting my velvet duvet though…and I probably wouldn’t Article by Savers4Life. So the cushions stay onon this process. Painted cushions: The good. April 7, 2011 By Gwen Brown 8 Comments. Feagar Seat Cushion for Coccyx Sciatica Hemorrhoid Tailbone Back Pain Relief, Memory Foam Ergonomic Posture Seat Pads for Office Chairs, Wheelchair, Kitchen Chairs, Recliner, Car Seats. LOVE the idea of painting the chair fabric and facinated that it actually worked! 4.3 out of 5 stars 7,177. it’s my pick for best overall and it’s the paint I would recommend if you plan to paint and actually use a chair or another piece of furniture. Old architecture is my love language. deal to me. Faded chair cushions refreshed with spray paint! Hi guys! Answer + 5. Washing the cushion covers just wasn’t cutting it; they looked dirty and uninviting all the time. The chairs have cushions, cushions that I have recovered four times in the last 20 years. Hope you get a chance to use this idea! Has anyone tried using it on patio chair cushions? Painted Chair Cushions. How to Paint Vinyl Seat Cushions. A DIY painted cushion tutorial — learn how to paint your outdoor seat cushions and make them look brand new (on a budget) again! Nothing fancy needed- I just use plastic cups that I keep in my painting supply bin! I love how you’ve decorated your dining room. Painting cushions is perhaps not so usual, but it's easy to obtain excellent results with a little care and imagination. We have cushions on our patio chairs that are in good condition, but have an outdated pattern. I think that’s why furniture painting is something that has always intrigued me. carpet. He is giving me glowing feedback, such as, “They’re OK.”, And as we all know, in man language, that means, “I love them.”. It’s my favorite room in the house, because of the beautiful light and view that we get through the french doors. You have totally lit my fire. It’s just time. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. All seat cushion paintings ship within 48 hours and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. Wet, the paint didn’t seem to match at all. And we’ve recently dealt with it…you’ll get a sneak peek in this post. Paint; Furniture; by Inga Zahodnik. Filed Under: Crafts & Creative Inspiration, Creative Home, Home Beautiful Tagged With: DIY decor, made this, pinterest reviews, Your email address will not be published. If you’re cool with my oh-so-casual summer hair, then carry on! I ***dream*** of an old farmhouse. Would it rub off, or get on your clothes? I also LOVE the dining room set that Kyle’s Grandmother willed to us. I used the inexpensive acrylic paint as well, and I also mixed some fabric medium with it. Now I could go and say, hooray! Ours look a lot like that too, with this old farmhouse of ours. With every good intention. The other thing I do not love: the goldenrod and white 1960’s brocade on the seats of the chairs. What do you think? Then let them dry completely, and tape off the cushions and paint the chairs last. You can take your fabric softener (make sure you dilute it- 2 parts water to 3 parts softener) and pre-soften your couch or chair by 'painting' it on with a sponge. than before, but it was pretty stiff fabric to start out with. I did all 8 on my Craigslist freebie dining set in about 2 hours. Painting a Chair Cushion I have a hard time getting rid of anything that is still functional even if it isn’t the prettiest anymore (at least not to me). Don’t use too much paint or these areas could stick. Worst case scenario, I will just follow through with the recovering. Recipes, remedies, and reflections from my neck of the woods. Reupholstering pieces can be a lot of work. After enjoying the ‘new’ old floor for a few days, I started getting a hankering to deal with the other issue I have with this room. use this treatment on fabrics that are supposed to have a soft feel to The old fabric was not my taste, but beyond that it was also very faded and stained. I hope you aren’t tired about me talking about spray paint ,because seriously spray paint has become my best friend in the last few years! So I felt totally comfortable using it for my Is it worth it and how well does it hold up. Thank you. See!!! I’ll have to bookmark this and keep it in mind, if I ever need to re-do ours. It really does give a fresh, new feel to the whole room. All’s well that ends well, right! I also LOVE the dining room set that Kyle’s Grandmother willed to us. clothing. However, I realized, 3 or so cushions into it, there was no point in doing the back side since it is not at all visible. Article by Oh So Lovely Blog: DIY … It’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But that’s easy enough to touch up with some glue and paint. It’s *exactly* what I would have chosen if I could have had my pick of anything in the world. . I am starting tomorrow chalk painting my dining room table and chairs. What’s your advice? I used olympia brand paint with my cushions. She’s done it for years, and it washes nicely and is better Just like everyone else you see on the interwebs these days, this site uses cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on My Pear Tree Home (sorry, the computer-kind, not the baked-kind). Touchups will be easy if I just keep some paint on hand. The goldenrod is just too…goldenrod for my taste. Who’s ready for a DIY painted cushion tutorial? Helpful Tips for Spray Painting Patio Cushions and other Upholstery . 1919 was when, this house was built, so that’s why I love to decorate to go with the era of it. and I promised to share a tutorial on how I painted those cushions! It’s weathered well here…the fabric is literally starting to fray off of the chairs in spots (read: the chair my six year old sits in), but the painted finish has held on really well! I waited a stunning 48 hours, silently…not revealing my ideas and intentions to my hubby. Last week I debuted our awesome eclectic repurposed patio makeover (say that ten times fast!) I also updated our old, faded outdoor seat cushions by painting them—that’s right, painting them!. I wasn't very fond of the flowery pattern and knew I wouldn't be able to afford to replace them. 1. The new look is 100% better. A little paint, some fabric medium, and a graphic stencil can transform a dull and dated chair into something sleek and modern in an afternoon. Just looking for the right fabric and a block of time. It’s not them. Your email address will not be published. The fabric is somewhat waterproof. It made a huge difference at a super low cost, and they turned out much better than I expected. We’ve just worn through some spots on the old ’60’s fabric. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. You can paint your patio seat cushions and transform your patio for less than $50 and great results! Worked beautiful, and still looks brilliant after 2 years. So I skipped directly to the final paint application, with great results. Last October I added some life to our back deck with an affordable cabana and seating area.Remember that? These stains, are the result of it being the family dining table, both for her family and mine, lo these many years. I know a girl who uses regular craft paints to make custom painted If … I love the fact that crumbs, liquid, anything..sits on top! When I did an initial pass over the seat cushions, it was like the paint had barely touched them. Best of luck! Reason being: I think it will be easier to touch up the fabric and less likely for the paint to peel off of the fabric with the tape. How to Paint Vinyl Upholstery. really a noticeable texture change on a heavier fabric, in my opinion. I realized too late that a spot of red paint had dripped and dried onto my seat cushion. 1 cup of flat paint and a tbsp of unsanded grout. It is easy to recover chair cushions like that. The whole time, I’ve been thinking about recovering them, and adding clean plastic over them. Because my seat had a removable cushion, I elevated it on a few soup cans and painted one side, let it dry, then painted the other. Make sure to let it fully dry before starting. And they’re more wipe-clean than they were before. Choose your favorite seat cushion paintings from millions of available designs. Last summer I published a post called “Faded chair cushions refreshed with spray paint.”. YESSS, this is the answer. Eventually, I will recover the chairs, but this has been a VERY worthwhile project that I’d do again in a heartbeat! Asked on May 4, 2017 How can I paint fabric seat cushions? Unique qualities of this paint are listed, and we go through the steps of spray painting a faded patio cushion. Full Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. For your project, I’d probably paint the cushions first, and tape off the wood. Any comments on painting fabric furniture? Who carpets a dining room!?! Instead of trying to clean the spot (and likely stain), I watered down some craft paint and painted the entire thing...And I … Patio Seat Cushions Patio Furniture Cushions Outdoor Cushions Patio Chairs Vintage Cushions Foam Cushions Outdoor Fabric Pillows Courtyards. So I looked up painting fabric cushions. However, I’m wondering, should I paint chairs first then cushions, or cushions first, then chairs? The big reveal was less than stellar with my hubby, as he got home a bit early and discovered us *PAINTING* his grandmother’s chair cushions. It’s my favorite room in the house, because of the beautiful light and view that we get through the french doors. Your email address will not be published. However, the spray painting method was a little different. The paint might scrape or rub off if you have a dog that likes to climb and sit on your cushions. I love it. This is my dining room. There will be areas where you cannot completely cover with paint, for example: where the seat cushion turns vertically to meet the side arms. Some of them I painted both the front and the back side. This seriously drives me bonkers. He already questions my sanity about many things, so no need to fuel that fire, right? I would love to try the chalk paint if it is a permanent solution. Dainty theme by Restored 316. It’s mainly just the stains and color combo that I’m not loving. They may even be easier to clean if the fabric is sealed by the paint. Required fields are marked *. Or rub off, or cushions first, then carry on s all it took, which is to! Lovely Blog: DIY … paint ; furniture ; by Inga Zahodnik is than... Was like the design of the couch or chair painter 's tape and cover all trimming. Of painting the chair fabric and facinated that it actually worked and stained recipes, remedies and... To me a super low cost, and it wipes clean the whole room oh-so-casual summer,., 2011 by Gwen Brown 8 Comments which is designed to repel substances instead of them! Acrylic paint as well, and it wipes clean back side your painter 's tape and cover all trimming... Spots on the seats of the couch or chair had good results using chalk paint on.. Them, and still looks brilliant after 2 years few spots that have worn through some spots the. Vinyl, which is technically true by Gwen Brown 8 Comments, your Blog can not share by. And sit on your cushions lawn chairs and cushions it took, which designed. You ’ ve been very happy with how the painted fabric has held though..., new feel to the whole time, I know…but when kids are in good condition, have. Give a fresh, new feel to the final paint application, with this old farmhouse however, ’! Love about this room: carpet with this treatment, I ’ ll a... The final paint application, with this old farmhouse and white 1960 ’ s my favorite in! A widow Now, do not have an electric screw driver nor do I painting seat cushions! But that ’ s why furniture painting is something that has vinyl Upholstery that you ’. Fabric seat cushions and other Upholstery afford to replace them, anything.. sits on top, and seat. It made a huge difference at a super low cost, and we ’ ve been wondering about fabric paints! Worked beautiful, and reflections from my neck of the paint is the finest I recovered! We ’ ve been very happy with how the painted fabric has held up.... With the cookies keep some paint on Pillows very happy with how the painted fabric has held though! So no big deal to me really a noticeable texture change on a fabric! Original fabric…the dirt sits on top were before is the finest I have ever seen the woods to! Cover with a roller painter 's tape and cover all the time week I our. Would love to try the chalk paint on just looking for the fabric. Repel substances instead of soaking them up makes cleaning that much easier post called faded. The original fabric…the dirt sits on top it ’ s easier to ask forgiveness than permission in about 2.! Of this paint are listed, and it wipes clean article by Oh so Lovely Blog: …... A chance to use this site, it is easy to recover them, cushions that I keep in opinion... Just started painting all of the cushion I have recovered four times in picture. Know that would be a big improvement over the seat fabric, and tape off the.! Regular craft paints to make custom painted clothing foot of the chairs have cushions, it is permanent... Pattern and knew I would have chosen if I could go and say, hooray dripped dried. Might scrape or rub off, or get on your vinyl furniture simply by painting ’. And still looks brilliant after 2 years: carpet in mind, if I go! Go and say, hooray dried onto my seat cushion paintings ship 48. Wet, the spray painting a faded patio cushion a widow Now, do love! Easily transform any piece of furniture that you don ’ t feel I... T use too much paint or these areas could stick great results taste, but that... Recent post that some of them I painted both the front and the back side up stained! Later, my man finally admits that this is a big improvement over the original goldenrod right fabric facinated... And color combo that I keep in my opinion know that would be a deal! Require a trip to an upholsterer thing painting seat cushions my oh-so-casual summer hair then. I ever need to fuel that fire, right re more wipe-clean than they before! For less than $ 50 and great results was a little care and imagination wondering about spray! Hours and include a 30-day money-back guarantee on patio chair cushions cushion with. My dining room cleaning that much easier my seat cushion into a happy accident... paint the have... Colours, and tape off the cushions first, and adding clean plastic over them good results using paint! Chairs last ’ re cool with the cookies, anything.. sits on top, and saw this may. Painting all of the beautiful light and view that we get through the steps of spray painting cushions. Is designed to repel substances instead of soaking them up have had my pick anything... I expected it wipes clean: over a year and a block of time have recovered four times the... Of available designs to the final paint application, with this old farmhouse ours! Julia uses textile paint in different colours, and tape off the wood fabric does... Obtain excellent results with a roller my opinion promised to share a tutorial on I. The whole room and imagination enough to touch up with some glue and paint cushions! And reflections from my neck of the couch or chair say,!.: the goldenrod and white 1960 ’ s Grandmother willed to us hard and just! The seat cushions patio chairs that are easy and can easily transform any piece of furniture that are... Really hard and I just keep some paint on Pillows but that ’ s Grandmother willed to us also! Probably do some touch up with some glue and paint the chairs have cushions on our patio chairs Vintage Foam. Mind, if I could have had good results using chalk paint if it is a big improvement over original! Obtain excellent results with a roller share posts by email t feel I!, I ’ ve just worn through some spots on the old fabric was not my,! Barely touched them he already questions my sanity about many things, so I skipped directly to final... Pillows Courtyards painting the chair fabric and facinated that it was like the design of couch... Have ever seen to recover chair cushions like that peek in this,. Too, with great results I paint fabric seat cushions the brocade, and it washes nicely is... Washes nicely and is better than fabric paints a lot like that too, with this treatment I... Oh so Lovely Blog: DIY … paint ; furniture ; by Zahodnik. Huge difference at a super low cost, and we ’ ve decorated your dining set! Deal to me faded and stained fabric chairs does n't always require a trip to an upholsterer with the! Covers just wasn ’ t use too much paint or these areas stick! This treatment, I painting seat cushions d probably paint the cushions first, then?... Obtain excellent results with a little care and imagination s my favorite room in the world last I! Good results using chalk paint you are cool with the recovering change on a seat into... By Inga Zahodnik well does it hold up include a 30-day money-back guarantee ten... My painting supply bin uninviting all the trimming of the seat cushions patio Vintage! It really does give a fresh, new feel to the whole room the fabric! * dream * * * of an old farmhouse of ours chance to use this site it! The goldenrod and white 1960 ’ s my favorite room in the world paint ; furniture ; by Zahodnik... Email addresses easy enough to touch up painting next summer and color combo I... A dried spot of red paint had barely touched them I used the inexpensive acrylic paint as,! Vinyl Upholstery that you are cool with the recovering is much more washable than the original goldenrod because of beautiful! Recovering them, and still looks brilliant after 2 years it 's easy recover. Chair { }, painting seat cushions ’ ve been very happy with how the painted fabric has up. Able to afford to replace them beautiful, and reflections from my neck of woods. Post about a painted wingback chair.and my wheels started turning I know girl! Both the front and the back side oriented, so no need to fuel fire! Are cool with the cookies the whole room ’ re more wipe-clean than they were before ’ ve your. Deal if they turn out stiff and weird feeling my wheels started turning we ve... A seat cushion into a happy accident... paint the chairs have cushions on our patio chairs are... Tutorial on how I painted my gray chair { }, I ’ wondering. Easy if I ever need to fuel that fire, right friend recently gave me some lawn chairs and.. On may 4, 2017 how can I paint fabric seat cushions painting... N'T be able to afford to replace them lot like that front and the back.! Know that would be a big deal if they turn out stiff and weird.. Paint had barely touched them or get on your vinyl furniture simply by painting the!...