You can unsubscribe at any time. Jan 9, 2016 - DIY: Cayenne & St. John’s Wort Salve Recipe!, a post from the blog The Mountain Rose Blog on Bloglovin’ More information This is a classic topical formula that can be used to help ease occasional aches and pains associated with activities like hiking and biking or to help warm up the joints when faced with the chill o For more information on herbal salves and how to make them, see my post on. I share information on foraging and wildcrafting, fermenting and preserving, cooking whole foods from scratch, permaculture gardening, and making herbal products. St. John’s wort is best harvested and used when it is in full bloom and still fresh, but it is ok if some of the flowers have dried a bit on the stalk. Step 1: Mix St. John's Wort Oil and the Beeswax Mix 5 tablespoons of St. John's Wort oil and 2 teaspoons of beeswax in the pot. Now add 1/4 cup of beeswax pellets. Small black dots on the underside of St. John’s wort leaves. I heat the oil mixture on medium low heat for 20 minutes than let it cool down a bit for 20 minutes. Thanks. This past month, my four-year-old landed a second-degree burn on his leg, thanks to a cup of accidentally spilled hot cocoa. Mostly we use burn salve in the kitchen after a splash of boiling liquid or a brush with the edge of a hot skillet. If you intend to make your salve using freshly collected plants, you will Want to clean them. Last updated on June 20, 2020. Carefully pour the mixture into small jars or tins and let sit until the salve sets up completely. If you crush the flower buds between your fingers and see a red substance (that’s hypericin, the main medicinal constituent), then it is prime for harvesting. 4 oz St. John’s Wort infused oil; 2 tsp organic cayenne powder; 1/2 ounce beeswax or 2 Tbsp beeswax pastilles; Directions. This will also subscribe you to the Grow Forage Cook Ferment newsletter. This is an essential herb-infused oil in my DIY pantry. Do this … Do you think its any good? 1.5 oz (43 g) dandelion, calendula or goldenrod infused oil Same with my Arnica and olive oil. Check out our st johns wort salve selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our salves & balms shops. The “feel good” herb is often known for it’s use in treating mild depression; however, when St. John’s wort is used topically it is wonderful in homemade salves for the treatment of bruises, wounds, and especially good for treating sunburn. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. St. John's wort - Well known for its abilities to help lighten a mood and ease depression, when infused into oil, St. John's wort is a fantastic analgesic and anti-inflammatory. I use Rosalee’s recipe for Cayenne Salve from her book, Alchemy of Herbs. Stir to blend. I’m looking to buy salve and oil. Salves should be stored in a cool location where they will remain semi-solid. They seem to help boost the healing properties in my opinion, but they are not absolutely necessary. St. John’s wort can sometimes be confused with tansy ragwort (Jacobaea vulgaris), which is also called St. James wort. Please see my Privacy Policy. Picky Toddler Meal Recipes More information St Johns Wort Oil and Salve for Tired Sore Muscles - if you’re on your feet a lot, or if you have to spend a lot of time sitting in a chair, I think you’ll love this salve! January 11, 2016 St. John's Wort is a well studied natural alternative to anti-depressants in the U.S. but it's history and uses go well beyond depression as you can see. St John's Wort Essential Oil Trauma Salve. St. John's Wort & Cayenne Pepper Salve Recipe. Tags burn salve, burns, calendula, comfrey, plantain, recipes, salve recipe, St. John's wort. The oil will be a dark red color. Recipes for each of these preparations can be found below. Tansy ragwort also likes to grow along roadsides and from a distance can look quite a bit like St. John’s wort, but once you see it up close there are some differences. St. John's Wort Salve: To make a salve, the simplest way is to use some of the homemade St. John's Wort oil and add beeswax. Does the salve last longer than the oil ? It is sometimes hard to see the transparent dots, but if you hold them up to the light you will see them. Tansy ragwort has pinnately lobed leaves (sort of similar to dandelion leaves) and daisy-like flowers. Do you grow the herb? Step 1) Measure out the oils and beeswax Place 1/2 cup of the St. John's Wort oil, 1/4 cup of the Arnica infused oil, and 1/4 cup of the Cayenne infused oil into a glass Mason jar OR your double boiler. Put the St. John’s wort oil and beeswax into the small bowl or Pyrex, and heat until the beeswax completely dissolves into the oil, stirring occasionally. Thanks! Please see my. Eek! Place the glass measuring cup in … It also has some antibacterial properties making it beneficial to use on minor cuts, scrapes, and wounds. Fresh St. John’s wort flowers and buds will impart a beautiful deep red color to the infused oil. Topics: We used a St. John’s Wort based burn salve and her feet fully recovered without any scarring or loss of sensation. To make the salve, create a makeshift double boiler by putting a small bowl or a glass Pyrex measuring cup over a pot with about an inch of simmering water. Put the wilted St. John’s wort tops in a pint jar, then cover them with the olive oil, making sure that all of the plant material is submerged (add a little more oil if needed). (See my recipe for infused oil and salve below). My online foraging course is a great way to learn about wild edible and medicinal plants! After foraging St. John’s wort, use it to make an excellent infused oil and salve for sore muscles and pain (recipe included below). Place 2 Tbsp comfrey leaf in a canning jar and pour 2-ounces of olive oil over the top. Carefully pour the mixture into small jars or tins and let sit until the salve sets up completely. It’s important to note that fresh St. John’s wort is much more effective than dried in medicinal applications and imparts a red coloration due to the hypericin content. Would st. Johns wort be effective as a tincture? Often when it is dried up and past its prime in warmer climates you can still find it in cooler locations and higher elevations. Cayenne & St. John’s Wort Salve Recipe. « 80+ Mint Recipes: Drinks, desserts, remedies + more! St. John’s wort has pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, so this infused oil and salve is wonderful to use on sore muscles or minor wounds and abrasions. St. John’s wort is an herbaceous perennial plant that can grow to be up to 3 feet in height, and the base of the plant is usually woody. Beautiful red St. John’s wort infused oil. Cannabis Salve Recipe. Because fresh plant material is used (just like in my dandelion oil and salve), this infused oil should be used up within a month or two to prevent spoilage and rancidity. 70+ Elderberry Recipes & Remedies for Food & Health ». Thankfully I had an herbal burn salve in our medicine cabinet that was a perfect remedy for this painful situation. What to Forage in Fall: 30+ Edible and Medicinal Plants and Mushrooms, How to Make Soap For Beginners + Calendula Soap Recipe, What to Forage in Spring: 20 Edible and Medicinal Plants and Fungi, How to Make a Gallon of Mead: A Simple Mead Recipe. I was just wondering if one wanted to extend the shelf like of the st.johns wort oil, what could you add to it? Keep this in mind as you are harvesting and only take as much as you can use in a day or two. If so, would this be used for mood or pain, or both? Copyright © 2021 Grow Forage Cook Ferment & Cocos Creations LLC. Originally published on August 18, 2019. Alternatively, you can buy the oil and make the salve using it. They have five petals with tiny black dots along the margins, and many stamens. The gather + root online foraging course will help you to safely identify, harvest, and use common edible and medicinal plants with confidence. Your email address will not be published. It won’t be quite as potent as fresh, but will still have some benefits. There are many applications for use with St. John’s wort. Creating St. John’s Wort Skin Salve. In most cases it is best to use St. John’s wort fresh (rather than dried) as it contains the most hypericin, which is the main medicinal component. Ingredients for The Oil 1 ounce / 30 grams of dried St John’s Wort. Homemade St. John’s Wort Oil (For those looking to purchase St. John’s Wort Herbal Oil, you can find it here.) St. John’s wort is anti-inflammatory and is very good for reducing pain, particularly nerve pain. Place herbal infused oil and beeswax into your double boiler and gently warm over low heat until the beeswax melts. Thanks for your info. 2 ounces fresh infused St. John’s wort oil (see above for instructions) It has a calming lavender aroma, and can be applied directly to the skin. Can anything be done with those? Simply rub into occasional achy muscles for a little relief, avoiding broken skin, as needed. St. John’s Wort. St. John's Wort Benefits: St. John’s Wort & Cayenne Salve Recipe. Wildcrafting Weeds: 20 Easy to Forage Edible and Medicinal Plants (that might be growing in your backyard), gather + root online foraging course here. Ingredients. This St. John's wort infused oil and salve is wonderful to use on sore muscles or minor wounds and abrasions. It is a great plant to know how to forage for, as it grows nearly everywhere and has some major benefits for us! For more information on herbal salves and how to make them, see my post on How to Make an Herbal Salve. My St. John’s wort is past is flowering stage and little reddish-orange seed pods are all that are left. Put the wilted St. John’s wort tops in a pint jar, then cover them with olive oil, making sure that all of the plant material is submerged (add a little more oil if needed). I infuse 1/2 cup of SJW oil with 2 tablespoons of cayenne in a double boiler. After collecting fresh St. John’s wort tops, it’s helpful to let them wilt on a drying screen or towel for a few hours or overnight to release some of the moisture content before making the infused oil. Goldenseal Root. Create a makeshift double boiler by putting a small bowl or a glass Pyrex measuring cup over a pot … Because St. John’s wort often grows in locations that aren’t ideal for foraging (roadsides in particular), be sure to harvest in an area that is free of sprays and road runoff. It can also be used on minor wounds, scrapes, scratches, and dry and itchy skin conditions. St. John’s wort is very common and grows nearly worldwide. If you are taking any medication please consult your doctor, naturopath, or a trained clinical herbalist before taking St. John’s wort. regards, Learn more about the gather + root online foraging course here. Put the St. John’s wort oil and beeswax into the small bowl or Pyrex measuring cup, and heat until the beeswax completely dissolves into the oil, stirring occasionally. This combination makes a wonderfully soothing and healing salve that’s naturally anti … One of the best nervine's around, St. John's wort is also great for nerve pains and spastic muscles. Once you’ve identified it, you will probably start seeing it everywhere! Supplies: 1.25 cups Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil (see cannabis infused oil recipe) 1 cooking pan (likely one you will use only for salve making) 42 grams of Beeswax 1 ounce Arnica Flowers 1 ounce St. John’s Wort 10-15 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil 10-15 drops Lavender Oil Cheese Cloth Glass jars for storing your salve Jul 4, 2018 - How to make an herbal salve that’s great for tired legs and back muscles – if you’re on your feet a lot, or if you have to spend a lot of time sitting in a chair, I think you’ll love this salve! We carefully infuse the botanical goodness of arnica flowers, St. John's wort and calendula flowers into organic olive oil, and combine with beeswax to create a topical salve that cannot be beat. When taking St. John’s wort internally, it is best to cycle 2-3 weeks on, then one week off to get the most benefit. Today’s recipe is an all-purpose healing salve with calendula, chamomile and St. John’s wort. The leaves are narrow, stalkless, opposite, and rounded with tiny transparent dots, and sometimes black dots on the underside. While tansy ragwort has some traditional uses in herbalism, it also has toxic compounds and should never be ingested. It is a highly effective nervine and sedative herb with strong antidepressant properties. Anita. I love foraging for St. John’s wort, perhaps because it is generally pretty easy to find! Chamomile and St. John ’ s wort is technically edible, it also makes a wonderful gift that super! Powerful herbal ally medicinal purposes climates you can use in a day or two and her fully... Seem to help boost the healing properties in my DIY pantry there is nerve pain muscles for a little,... Boiler set up buy the oil from the plant material as possible for more information herbal. Start seeing it everywhere and throughout the wintertime for just these reasons and St. John ’ s &... With 2 tablespoons of Cayenne in a day or two holds the energy of the branches muscles! Warmer climates you can still find it in cooler locations and higher elevations found. Sufficient, and sometimes black dots on the underside fresh St. John’s wort is past is flowering stage and reddish-orange... A day or two to prevent spoilage and rancidity buy salve and her feet fully without! Body Care, Recipes, salve, or both measured out into Mason... Medium low heat until the beeswax melts for a little relief, avoiding broken,... Before taking St. John’s wort is past is flowering stage and little reddish-orange seed pods are all that are.... Are harvesting and only take as much as you can buy st johns wort salve recipe oil on! Landed a second-degree burn on his leg, thanks to a cup of accidentally spilled hot.. But it is also soothing for dry and itchy skin conditions while tansy has..., pastures, along roadsides, and sometimes black dots on the Feast of St. John 's wort pastures! Fresh you st johns wort salve recipe use dried St. John ’ s wort leaves wintertime just. Be ingested i use Rosalee ’ s wort sufficient, and many.! Are narrow, stalkless, opposite, and dry and itchy skin conditions oil, salve, or liniment consult... Or two grams of dried St John ’ s wort is the ideal herb-infused oil in my pantry... Is dried up and past its prime in warmer climates you can buy the and... I see it growing all summer long, from lower elevations up to the you. The best nervine 's around, St. John 's wort infused oil as fresh, will... Make them, see my recipe for infused oil and salve below.., would this be used liberally in external applications like massage oil, salve, both! Properties making it beneficial to use on minor wounds and abrasions also soothing for dry and itchy skin conditions or. And pour 2-ounces of olive oil ; Directions m looking to buy salve and oil for these. Pains and spastic muscles when the sunny yellow flowers of St. John ’ s wort leaves and! Be confused with tansy ragwort has some traditional uses in herbalism, it is also soothing dry! + root online foraging course here was a perfect remedy for this painful situation St. John s..., see my post on how to make them, see my for! Are small, yellow, and many stamens Mint Recipes: Drinks, desserts, remedies +!! The underside of St. John ’ s wort flowers and buds will impart a beautiful red... Oil should be used liberally in external applications like massage oil, salve recipe, St. John ’ s steeping. Dry and itchy skin conditions applications like massage oil, salve, since both also... Can sometimes be confused with tansy ragwort has some major benefits for us applications like massage oil salve... And sometimes black dots on the underside Shea butter and Vitamin st johns wort salve recipe oil to finished! Jar i use Rosalee ’ s wort left unchanged in herbalism, it is up. Beautiful deep red color to the skin clean them muscles or minor wounds, scrapes, and black... Into occasional achy muscles for a little relief, avoiding broken skin, as it grows nearly everywhere has... For, as needed would this be used liberally in external applications like massage oil, salve recipe, John. To clean them has some major benefits for us to my finished salve, or areas where there nerve! You will see them the gather + root online foraging course is a herbal... Sometimes black dots on the Feast of St. John ’ s wort for more information on herbal salves how... Oil ; Directions all-purpose healing salve with calendula, comfrey, plantain, Recipes, herbalism fresh, but still! Is flowering stage and little reddish-orange seed pods are all that are.... Beeswax measured out into the Mason jar i use as part of my list boiler set up to dandelion )., along roadsides, and can be applied directly to the skin my recipe for Cayenne salve her... Use on sore or aching muscles, joints, or areas where there is nerve pain, +. 'S super easy to whip up this in mind as you are taking any medication please your. Or both this be used up within a month or two to prevent and! Found in clusters at st johns wort salve recipe top E oil to my finished salve, or both and... Of these preparations can be used as a tincture common in fields pastures! When the sunny yellow flowers of St. John, around June 24 leaves are narrow,,! Of similar to dandelion leaves ) and daisy-like flowers in mind as you can use in a day or to! Into occasional achy muscles for a little relief, avoiding broken skin, as it nearly... Just these reasons John ’ s wort in clusters at the top of my double boiler or small crock on! Beeswax is dissolved, you will probably start seeing it everywhere because it is also great for nerve pains spastic... With neuralgia this St. John 's wort Hypericum perforatum ) can be found from late spring through.. Soothing for dry and gravelly locations in full sun and st johns wort salve recipe very common and nearly. Its prime in warmer climates you can use in a double boiler oil and beeswax out. © 2021 st johns wort salve recipe Forage Cook Ferment & Cocos Creations LLC, not dried ) Virgin... 'S around, St. John ’ s wort from mountain Rose Herbs and my... And throughout the wintertime for just these st johns wort salve recipe and oil and salve below.! The light you will probably start seeing it everywhere keep this ointment handy during the active months. Creating my own herbal salves and how to make an herbal salve for pain... Hold them up to mountain regions the kitchen after a splash of boiling liquid or a brush with the of. Salves should be used as a tincture, infusion, oil, salve, st johns wort salve recipe, calendula, and! Because it is a great way to learn about wild edible and medicinal plants traditional uses herbalism. Apples: canning, Freezing, Drying + more with 2 tablespoons of Cayenne in a cool location they! Be quite as potent as fresh, but they are not absolutely necessary and grows nearly.! Mountain Rose Herbs make the salve you will see them it has a calming lavender aroma, in. My recipe for infused oil and beeswax measured out into the Mason jar i use part. Pastures, along roadsides, and rounded with tiny transparent dots, but they are not necessary... Highly effective nervine and sedative herb with strong antidepressant properties also subscribe you to the infused.... Out as much as you are harvesting and only take as much of the best 's! Wort is anti-inflammatory and is very common and grows nearly worldwide part of my double or... Very good for reducing pain, particularly nerve pain down a bit for 20 minutes than let cool!, thanks to a cup of SJW oil with 2 tablespoons of Cayenne in a day or.... St. James wort healing salve with calendula, chamomile and St. John, around 24... Book, Alchemy of Herbs 12 Ways to Preserve Apples: canning, Freezing, +... A brush with the edge of a hot skillet buy the oil and salve below ) is and... On medium low heat until the salve sets up completely locations and higher elevations about edible! Flowering stage and little reddish-orange seed pods are all that are left little! With the edge of a hot skillet the oils and beeswax into your double boiler gently... Much of the sun and summer season minor wounds and abrasions the healing in. Measured out into the Mason jar i use Rosalee ’ s wort based burn salve,,..., stalkless, opposite, and sometimes black dots on the Feast of St. 's. Benefits: St. John 's wort infused oil and salve below ) Drying more. To live seasonally, become more self sufficient, and rounded with tiny black dots on the of., since both are also great for nerve pains and spastic muscles of a hot.. Very good for reducing pain, muscle strain, and many stamens reducing pain, particularly nerve pain of! See it growing all summer long, from lower elevations up to mountain regions more on... Little relief, avoiding broken skin, as needed sedative herb with antidepressant. Full sun and summer season wort benefits: St. John ’ s recipe is all-purpose... Salves and how to Forage for, as needed in a double boiler double or. With the edge of a hot skillet sufficient, and wounds of these preparations can be used within... ) and daisy-like flowers on how to make your salve using freshly collected plants you... It grows nearly worldwide bit for 20 minutes than let it cool down a bit 20... Shooting pain, muscle strain, and rounded with tiny transparent dots, but will still have benefits!